Housism of the Week

House: "I'm the most screwed-up person in the world."
Cuddy: "I know. I love you."
Help Me (06x23)

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

House: "Emancipation" (05x08)

Last night the eight episode of the so far pretty great fifth season aired and after House chickened out it seemed as if the whole House-Cuddy arc was already over before it began. Well, spoilers tell something different, but I'll get to that later.

It was one very classic House episode meaning a lot of "medical stuff" and a lying patient. This patient was a 16-year-old who was an emancipated minor and has been living on her own because her parents were dead. That's at least what she said at first. As it turned out, she was raped by her father and her mother didn't say anything. Oh, I forgot to tell you that she was having seizures and heart problems.

Meanwhile Foreman originally wanted to do a clinical trial and asked House for permission, which he - of course - didn't give. Foreman decided to proof to him that he can do two things or better take care of two patients at the same time and takes on the case of a 4-year-old boy who has been sick for days. His big brother and his mother are very worried about him, but Foreman can't really find out what the boy has. He asks Cameron and Chase for help (by the way: Great revival of the old team. They should solve more cases together) and in the end he even asks House. But House won't help him -although the kid's life is at stake - and eventually Foreman finds the solution. He tells House this time that he's going to do the clinical trial and House says yes because "he can't say no to a statement"

The 16-year-old girls situation is getting worse and worse and she needs a bone marrow transplant. 13 tries to find her parents against the girl's will but she finds out that the girl has lied again: She has given them a wrong name. Eventually she tells House the truth: She killed her little brother by accident and that's why she had got to get away from her parents. She still needs the transplant and the parents come and see their daughter who is really overwhelmed.

Except for the two patients there weren't a lot of "private things" that were discussed. Wilson didn't talk to House about Cuddy or gave him any advice although House seemed to want advice from him. Cuddy had one little scene with Foreman and House was thinking about the patient most of the time, so it kinda felt like a filler episode, a good one nonetheless.

I liked the patient of the week very much and the fact that Foreman really got emancipated this episode. I always felt he needed to be stronger and now he actually stood up to House. Of course House acted again like an ass when he redused to help Foreman with his patient (it's a 4-year-old boy!!!), but who would have thought anything else? I liked House's attempts to talk to Wilson about Cuddy. He seemed to need Wilson's advice or just a statement about Cuddy but he wasn't getting one. Perhaps Wilson thinks House has to figure this one out on his own. I was kinda dissapointed nothing happened between House and Cuddy and the final scene almost looked like the Huddy arc ended before it really took off, but thank God we have those clever spoiler hunters.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode because there will be hostage situation and I really like those episodes when it's all about House and his ability to find the right answers, even if it's under pressure. House and a crazy person in one room - with a gun. I guess it's going to be amazing.

Best Moment: Chase, Cameron and Foreman sitting together drinking coffee and thinking about the case. It felt like old House again. Those were the days... ;)
Weirdest Moment: Wilson being suddenly so disengaged. Last episode he really wanted House to ask Cuddy out, now he acts as if he doesn't care. I know it's some kind of reverse psychology, but I didn't really get it.
Favourite Quote:
House: Your disengagement won't work.
Dr. Wilson: I can see that.
House: You think that when you tell me what I should do my instincts are to push back, so that by not telling me what I should do, I'll do what you think I should do.
Dr. Wilson: I sound convoluted.
House: Disengagement is neither artful nor effective.
Dr. Wilson: So my not doing anything isn't causing you to do anything?
House: Right.
Dr. Wilson: I'm okay with that.

No comments: